Week 1: Two Cultures

A painter at work on a scene from Pinocchio
                        A painter at work on a scene from Pinocchio. Source: Walt Disney Productions Photofest https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2010/03/disney-animation-girls-201003

Learning about the "Two Cultures" phenomenon solidified an idea that has subconsciously persisted in my head for as long as I can remember. When I was younger, I was primarily interested in creating art and even dreamed of pursuing a career as an animator. Now, as a sophomore STEM major, it’s safe to say that my plans have made a complete 180. Looking back, I was definitely influenced by the stereotypes surrounding careers in art/the humanities. Both my first-generation guilt and the 'starving artist' cliché were constant reminders that I would have to forgo my passions and strive for a “prosperous” career. 

From the sources provided, I understand that this divide between the "literary intellectuals and natural sciences” is not just a personal affliction. C.P. Snow argues that this inherent disharmony subsists and is largely exacerbated by educational curriculum. This division is described as “dangerous” by Christopher Williams, who also acknowledges the lack of understanding of science and technology among the general public. 

Left-brained and Right-brained. Source: Somewhere Between Arts and Science. https://www.muse-magazine.com/somewhere-between-arts-and-science/ 

I’ve observed this division manifest itself in North and South campus through its architectural disparities and generally different student life atmospheres. In our collective struggle to find a balance between the two cultures, our first step is to recognize that these disciplines are not so far removed from each other as we’ve been taught. In his paper “Myths and Confusions in Thinking about Art/Science/Technology”, Stephen Wilson delineates the ways in which they are heavily influenced by each other by using examples of contemporary research endeavors that employ ideas from both the sciences and the arts. I believe there is much to learn about this concept and I am excited to learn about new ways to bridge the gap between these interests of mine.

TED talk - How technology depends on the humanities

Sources:

Berridge, Eric. “Why tech needs the humanities | Eric BerridgeYouTube, YouTube, 22 May. 2018, https://youtu.be/F2XPF6rQ6fs

Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print.

Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print.

Williams, Christopher M. “A Dangerous Divide: The New York Academy of Sciences.Nyas, https://www.nyas.org/ebriefings/a-dangerous-divide/?tab=overview. 

Wilson, Stephen D. “Myths and Confusions in Thinking about Art/Science/Technology.” College Art Association Meetings. New York, New York, 2000. Print

Comments

  1. Hi Anna! This feels like such a small world. I can really relate to your blog post, as I'm also a first-generation college student who wanted to pursue animation as a career but opted for a science major out of guilt. In a sense, I thought I was settling for less because I felt more "art-oriented." However, looking back, I think I had the wrong idea about learning art and science. I thought I only had the capacity to love one or the other; now, I see myself as both an artist and scientist. I do hope that regardless of your career choice, you continue to remain passionate about art and think of yourself as someone who belongs in both the arts and STEM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! I really felt I resonated with your blog post concerning the stigma around certain careers in the arts. I too have pushed myself away from pursuing jobs or career paths in the arts because I was raised to believe that these jobs cold not financially support me or would give me a bed rep. My passion for the arts has always been overlooked as just a hobby by many people in my life, not something that could be taken seriously. My college and career plans are to be in the sciences, however I realized now that art could have very well been an option for me. I believe as a society we need to rethink stereotypes that surround these matters, and not let disrepute allow you to be someone you're not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4: Medicine + Technology + Art

Week 2: Math + Art

Event 2: The Mortal Plastik